9.11.2013

9.11

9.11 is a day that sticks in every American’s mind who was alive in 2001.  There are countless Facebook posts recounting where people were when the first and second planes crashed into the World Trade Centers.  This past summer, by chance, I was able to visit the 9-11 memorial.  It was my first time in New York City and a very cool experience.  It was a chilly, rainy day and the mood was quite somber.  As I looked at the names around the memorial I tried to picture them.  Did they work in the World Trade Center?  Were they a firefighter?  Were they on the airplane?  It is an incredible memorial and wonderful tribute.

DSC04711

With each passing year, the memories remain very vivid to me.  As a teacher, I think it is important to commemorate the day, but it has become more difficult as my six and seven year old first graders were not even alive when this happened.  Part of me wants to protect them from all the scary things in the world, but at the same time, if we do not share it, then before too long it is just going to be another page in a history book.  I was excited to share some of my pictures from this summer with them today.  While they may not understand what happened on that day in 2001, I do want them to know about it.  I want them to be proud to be an American, thankful to live in this country and for the freedoms that they have.  Hopefully, with each passing year they will continue to learn about this and make our country a better place.

DSC04714

DSC04704

A new beginning…Looking up at the new One World Trade Center on a rainy New York Day.

I still love this State Farm commercial from the 10 year anniversary…

God Bless America…

{The Launes}

No comments:

Post a Comment