6.19.2016

6.8.16...Project Day

Today was our designated project day at the center.  We bit off a little more than we could chew.  Our goal was to repair 60 or so broken windows, get the special needs kids out and moving and to scrape a fungus that grows during the raining season off the wall surrounding the compound, and possibly paint those walls.

In the end, we scraped the walls with wire brushes before deciding to hire someone to pressure wash the rest and we bought glass to repair all of the broken windows.  Our fingers are crossed that we will be able to paint tomorrow.

DSC06746

Scraping was hard, dirty work…

DSC06748

One of our projects today was to get the special needs kids out and moving.  They all need a lot of one on one attention, so it is hard for the aunties to get them out of the apartment very often.  I worked with Joshua and he was a ball of energy!  For the first time all week I finally hit 10,000 steps thanks to Joshua.  He walked (or should I say ran) around picking up leaves to place in everyone's hands.  He also had great aim when he would get ahold of a rock.  At that point it became more of a defensive game.

Africa 3

This evening we had more time to hang with the kids.  Zainab tried to teach me some Krio,  I felt like Joey on Friends when Phoebe tries to teach him French.  I found if I said something similar and matched my facial expressions to Zainab’s then she told me I was correct. :)  I think I’m going to try to Google some Krio phrases.  It would be much easier to hear and see it.

Africa 1

We ended the night with full group devotions.  I always love it when the entire staff and children come together to worship.  There are no words to describe its beauty.

Oh, and for dinner tonight I had French fries and ice cream.  All in all, it was a good day.

{The Launes}

No comments:

Post a Comment