7.07.2012

Tails, California…

Heads Carolina, tails California...two weeks ago Friday we embarked on a new adventure.  A road trip bound for California.  No, we didn’t flip a coin and decide to head west, but there was a lot of driving and camping involved.  And if you know me at all, I do not camp!  I tried to be a trooper and I like to look at it as character building.

DSC03441

We made our first stop in Kearney so we could visit the Chizeks and meet baby Addison.  Addison seemed like such a good baby!

DSC03444DSC03445

Then, we headed into the mountains, played John Denver’s Rocky Mountain High and took in the beautiful scenery.

DSC03452DSC03461

We stopped for the night in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.  We pitched a tent in a place I thought I could handle camping, but Trent assured me that this was not real camping.  Apparently bathrooms and campers too close together draws the line between camping and “camping.”  I think I prefer “camping.”

Bright and early the next morning we loaded up the car again and headed for Moab, Utah so I could experience my first national park adventure. 

DSC03482

3 and 1/2 hours on the road and we were at Arches National Park. It was one of the most amazing places I have ever been. 

DSC03533DSC03518

Delicate Arch...worth the hike!

DSC03557

Sand Dune Arch...

This time we camped up to Trent’s standards right on the Colorado River back in the canyons.  Primitive.  Very primitive.  No bathrooms.  No running water.  Nothing. 

DSC03564

Goodbye Arches National Park...

Hello Zion National Park.

After leaving Moab, we were headed to Vegas, but Trent wanted to go on another little hike before we took on city life.  So while I was driving, he searched on his phone and found one just on the outer edge of Zion National Park that he thought would be a good hike.  He was rather vague about it, but I decided to be a good sport and trust him.  So we parked and headed on our way.  Just a little ways in there was a little stream we had to cross.  Of course I didn’t want to get my good running shoes wet so I asked Trent to give me a piggyback ride across.  He kindly declined and I eventually bit the bullet and crossed.  I soon found out the entire trail followed a stream and about 75% of the hike was actually in the stream!  We climbed waterfalls and went through the stream surrounded only by a canyon.  Sneaky guy knew this the whole time, but thought I wouldn’t go if I knew!

DSC03570DSC03572

Getting my feet wet...

DSC03577DSC03579

After climbing two waterfalls and going a little farther we were debating on whether or not to turn around.  We weren’t sure how much farther the trail went or what was at the end.  Then a couple that we had passed a little earlier caught up to us and asked if we saw the rattlesnake back there in a little cave Trent checked out.  This created instant panic in me and I could not get down fast enough!   It ended up being a very cool trail and the water felt good on the hot day.  Trent rates it as his favorite part of the vacation.

Part one complete.  Up next...

Viva Las Vegas!

{The Launes}

No comments:

Post a Comment