7.23.2012

Temperatures Nearing 104…

While the temperatures outside have been next to unbearable, one temperature has trumped even the sweltering temps outside...mine.  That’s right.  For eight straight days I ran a temperature topping near 104 degrees.  It was a long, frustrating and miserable week.  It botched plans for a weekend getaway to Okoboji and created two visits to the doctors office and one visit to Urgent Care.

It all started last Saturday with a little cough.  By Sunday, I didn’t feel great and was running a low grade fever, but pretty much went about my usual business.  Monday I still didn’t feel great and decided to go to the doctor.  They diagnosed me with bronchitis, prescribed me and antibiotic and sent me on my way.

Tuesday came around and I didn’t feel great, but knew I was on antibiotics and thought I would be feeling better soon so didn’t let a little low grade fever stop me.  Until Tuesday night.  My fever spiked higher and I couldn’t keep it down with Tylenol.

Thursday, with rising temps, it was back to the doctor.  They tested me for mono, influenza and did blood work.  No answers.  They thought it was a virus that was causing my fevers and it would just have to run its course.  I woke up Friday with no fever and an appetite so I was thankfully convinced that I was better!

But...Saturday came and my fever was back.  My thermometer beeps differently when it reads above 100.  3 fast beeps.  I didn’t even have to look to know my fever was back.  I had chills, some trouble breathing and my cough lingered on.

Sunday Trent took me into an Urgent Care.  I was determined to walk in and demand answers and walk out feeling better.  I was ready to demand a shot to make me feel better.  To my surprise, without even asking, they said they were going to give me two shots.  Praise. the. Lord.  I don’t love shots, but if I was going to feel better after a week I was willing to try almost anything!  They were surprised by how long my fever had lasted.  They could hear congestion in my chest and the oxygen levels in my blood were low.  They said they could do a chest x-ray to determine if my bronchitis had turned into pneumonia, but since I was young it wouldn’t change how they treated me.  So they are treating me for bronchitis and pneumonia with steroids and antibiotics.

Funny story about the shots.  They gave me two shots in the “hip.”  “Hip” is apparently the politically correct way of referring to your butt when they are giving you a shot.  However, I feel like my rear has a lot more padding for a shot than I would have near my hip.  So I will take a shot in my “hip.”

Anyway, I am confident that I am now finally on my way to feeling better.  My fever is gone and some energy is back.  Still fighting off my cough, but baby steps here.  That’s not going away over night.

Tomorrow, it is back to summer school and I actually can’t wait to get out of the house!

{The Launes} 

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Megan, that's awful! Glad you're feeling better. Hope it's gone for good :)

    ReplyDelete