4.06.2013

Launes to Africa…

2013 is going to be a big year.  Like go to Africa big year.  As unreal as it all seems to me, two months from tonight, Trent and I will be getting ready to board a plane and travel nearly halfway around the world to Sierra Leone, Africa.  In a way it’s been a long time in the making and at the same time it seems a little spur of the moment.  We decided to take this leap of faith in December, but didn’t officially get our application sent in until late January.  For some reason, when I think of a mission trip and Africa, I think of it as something that is planned out more than a year in advance.  But, it really is not. Not this one anyway.  Instead, it is a lot of trust and faith that we are calling on as we prepare to serve the Lord through this opportunity.

I have wanted to sit down and write about our trip and our planning so many times, but I just didn’t feel like I had the right words to describe what we are about to experience.  I still don’t feel like I have the right words, but I want to record this journey before it’s too late.  My goal is to update along the way.  I don’t really expect anyone to keep up with it, but if you are interested, be my guest!

Without going into a lot of detail, I will share the basics.
-We will be traveling with an organization called the Raining Season and staying at an orphanage in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
-We will be gone 10 days, leaving June 6th, 7th, or 8th.  Plane tickets will be purchased this week!
-We found out about this organization through my friend Sarah that I teach with.  Her husband has been twice before and we will all be going this time.  Another teacher at my school, Janet will also be going.
-Most of our time will be spent with the kids.  We will work to develop relationships with them in the short time we are there.
-We are hoping for the opportunity to help train teachers.  The schools in Freetown are not very reliable so the orphanage is wanting to teach the children on site.  We will also be doing community outreach such as visiting the local hospital.

That is not a lot of details, but honestly, I really don’t know what to expect.  I ask lots of questions, but at the same time, I think I’m better off not knowing every detail.  A little spontaneity will be good for me!

This is truly a leap of faith for me.  I am feeling very blessed with this opportunity, but also a little anxiety.  I will need a lot of prayer for peace of mind as I immerse myself in a culture like I have never experienced.  I am praying that God will use me and allow me to connect with the children at the orphanage and teach them about Jesus.

Hoping to update again soon…I will leave you with a picture of an envelope I got in the mail from my friend Amy.  I think I will pack it on our trip for when I need an encouraging reminder.
1c73371c770d11e2967b22000aa80146_7
Until next time…
{The Launes}

No comments:

Post a Comment