6.20.2013

6.10.13…Visiting Day

Today was our first day outside of the center.  We started the morning at devotion before their school day began. 

DSC04790DSC04795

Leaving the center was our first opportunity to experience Freetown traffic.  It is seriously organized mass chaos.  It is a city of 2.4 million people and there are no stoplights and maybe five stop signs. There are literally cars and motorcycles and people everywhere.  Honking is the driver’s way of saying, “I’m coming so look out because I’m not stopping!”  I think I spent half of the ride with one eye shut hoping we wouldn’t hit a motorcycle or car.  It did amaze me how this method of driving really did seem to work for them.

Our first stop was at the Children’s Hospital.  We were able to visit two wards when we were at the hospital.  I was a little nervous going in because I wasn’t sure what it would be like or what I would see.   I was praying that I would have the opportunity to connect with the people and comfort them.  We visited the malnutrition ward first.  These kiddos were tiny and frail.  Most of the mothers were with their children.  Many of them had a difficult time understanding English, but it is amazing how a gentle touch or smile are universal.  I sat down with one mother and her baby, Mary.  The pain and worry in her face is still a clear image in my mind.  She was holding her sick baby and there was nothing she could do.  They had just checked into the hospital and she was feeling hopeless.  As we visited and I oohed and ahhed over Mary’s beautiful brown eyes she began to feel more comforted.  Trent came over and joined us and Mary enjoyed stroking his arm hair!  When it was time to go, Trent was able to give her a little money.  As I watched from a distance, I could see her face light up into the biggest, brightest smile.  I’m really not sure what the money meant to her, but I am hoping it was something that would help her focus on little Mary and not worry about other things.

DSC04805

After visiting ward 1, we made our way to ward 3.  The children in this ward had illnesses such as pneumonia, malaria and typhoid fever.  My heart ached so terribly for a little boy, maybe about 8, with typhoid fever.  He did not look like he felt well, but then the nurse gave him medicine through his iv.  He screamed in agony and could not be consoled.  It breaks my heart to think about how many of the diseases and illnesses they are dealing with here could be easily treated or prevented in America.

DSC04809

After the hospital, we headed to Grafton to visit another orphanage.  Auntie Margaret, the lady who runs the orphanage, began it after the war.  Her husband was killed in the war and she really felt God call her to help the children who had also been affected by the war.  It began with funding from an organization in Canada, but they have since pulled funding and she is left with nothing.  Compared to the Raining Season, this orphanage was barely surviving.  Auntie Margaret has an incredible heart for the Lord and these children and is completely trusting God to provide and help her. 

DSC04898

There were twenty four children in this orphanage, but it was difficult to distinguish those kids from the other kids in the community.  They all swarmed us (we had sweets).  The kids also all wanted us to “snap them” (take their picture) so they could see it.  One thing I noticed is that when I would go to take their picture they would be walking toward me and holding their hands up to the camera.  I have a lot of pictures of little hands or close ups of faces.

DSC04827DSC04833DSC04857DSC04868DSC04873DSC04896

We spent the evening back at the center playing with the kids.   Kadija and Mohamed have been spending a lot of time with me.  These kids are so desperate for one on one attention and are willing to fight for it.  Living here is also like having 111 brothers and sisters, so of course you are not going to get along all of the time.  We finally settled on them sitting on my lap while we read some  books.

DSC04914

DSC04923DSC04924DSC04927

We finally got to look in our checked bags and see the name of the boy we sponsor.  (It was not Kevin, but Kandeh)  So far he is loving on Trent!  I am looking forward to spending some time with him tomorrow now that we actually know who he is!

{The Launes}       

1 comment:

  1. What sweet photos! I'm sure you couldn't stop snapping :) I hope Kevin wasn't too disappointed when you figured things out...

    ReplyDelete