6.20.2013

6.13.13…Beach Day!

Today was beach day!  It is the day when teams are visiting that all the kids get out of school and everyone packs into podas (like 28 kids in one poda) and drive down the coast to the beach.

DSC05116

The ocean in Sierra Leone is beautiful.  The beaches were white sand with clear, warm water.  Other than us, there was hardly anyone at the beach so it felt like our own tropical island.  It was a fun day, but exhausting.  Imagine taking 100+ kids to the beach who have never had swimming lessons.  They don’t venture too far and are completely okay with being covered from head to toe with sand.

DSC05119DSC05120DSC05127DSC05133

Auntie Alice…She is the sweetest lady!  She made the rug that I brought home.

DSC05140DSC05142

DSC05135

The worst part about the trip was the drive.  I have never been so scared in a car.  Freetown driving is crazy, but this was a new extreme.  We were on dirt and gravel roads like washboards.  They were bumpy and we were driving too fast and swerving.  I was debating between whether I should just trust that God would take care of me or if I was being stupid not to say something.  I decided that God was in control, but I was still going to say something.  We drove home slower (not much, but a little).

Tonight everyone was exhausted.  We played a little, but it was off to bed early for the little ones.  Tomorrow was suppose to be our last day here, but since we were delayed a day getting here, we are going to be able to stay an extra day.  One extra day to love on the kids!

{The Launes}

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Looks a little cloudy though :( I imagine I would experience much car sickness on this trip.

    ReplyDelete