6.13.2014

6.3.14: Freetown, Take 2…

Several times in the weeks leading up to this trip I asked Trent how he thought this trip would be different than our last trip here.  Our agenda was fairly similar, but I had a feeling that the experiences with those activities would be totally different.

Today started similar to last time…I was sick and miserable.  I have no idea what causes this, but Zophran (an anti nausea medication) has been my best friend today! At about 2 a.m. I was lying wide awake telling myself that I was going home and never coming back to this place.  Somehow in the midst of all that I remembered that I was sleeping on a nice comfy bed.  I had a fan blowing on me and I wasn’t sleeping on the hard ground, like so many people in Freetown.  Tonight I’m feeling quite a bit better and wondering how long they’ll let me stay!  :)

We started our day with the welcome ceremony.  This is when all of the kids and staff sing to welcome us.  I love it when they are singing altogether.  After the welcome ceremony we had a little time to hang out with the kids.  Trent and I had a chance to reconnect with Kandeh, Zanaib and Isha (3 of the kids we sponsor) and finally meet Memunatu, their sister who was in the hospital with malaria the last time we visited.

DSC05778DSC05782DSC05785DSC05789

We didn’t have a lot of time to connect with the kids today because this afternoon we got to go on a tour of Freetown.  We saw many parts of Freetown last year, but this year was saw so much more.  We visited the National Monument and took a tour from a young man.  His parents were both killed in the war.  At one point he sang the National song for us.  As he sang it, as well as when he was giving the tour, I could really tell how proud he was of his country.  Some people here may not have much, but they certainly take a lot of pride in what they do have.

DSC05800DSC05801DSC05803

After the tour, we visited a small market where I purchased fabric to have a skirt made.  Then we drove around seeing Freetown’s oldest college (way up on the mountain) and we drove along the beach.  All kinds of people were playing soccer on the beach.

DSC05808

One view of Freetown as we drove up the mountain…

Tonight we ate dinner at the orphanage and then spent time with the kids at their devotionals.

It has been so fun seeing the kids and how they have changed in the last year.  Some of the younger ones have lost teeth and grown their permanent teeth, while others look healthier or just taller.  I am really looking forward to spending more time with them tomorrow.

The good news on this end is that this time around we have running water…praise the Lord.  It is chilly, but it flows.  A shower was much needed as my forearm sweat literally soaked through my skirt when I was squished riding in the back of the poda today.  It is hot, but it is well!

{The Launes}

No comments:

Post a Comment