6.16.2014

6.9.14: Until Next Time…

Today was our final day in Sierra Leone.  Other than a slightly rough start of not feeling well, the trip could not have been more perfect.

This morning we had our farewell ceremony.  The kids and staff again sang for us.  We were able to give some care packages to all of the staff as well, which they really seemed to appreciate.  After the farewell ceremony we got to hang out a little bit longer before saying our final goodbyes and leaving for the boat and airport.

DSC06161

Telling Daniel goodbye and sharing some treats…

DSC06165

Little Hawa was all smiles on our last morning…

DSC06166DSC06168

Sharing care packages with the caregivers…

DSC06169DSC06171

DSC06172DSC06176DSC06178DSC06180DSC06189DSC06193

Before we left for Africa I was curious of how this trip would be different than the last.  I think I expected a mostly similar experience, but I really don’t think it could have been more different.  I am so thankful for all of the opportunities we had while we were here.  God continues to be present and working in this city.

The Raining Season is a city on the hill that is transforming lives each and every day.  This city continues to be more than the trash on the ground and the poverty that exists.  These children represent true beauty in the every day moments of life.

The song Kings and Queens by Audio Adrenaline is not about Sierra Leone, but it is about orphans.  God wraps these little orphans in his majesty and they can become kings and queens.  These little children that have been forgotten on Earth are going to have a special place in heaven one day because of what they've been through here.

Little hands, shoeless feet, lonely eyes looking back at me
Will we leave behind the innocent too brief
On their own, on the run when their lives have only begun
These could be our daughters and our sons
And just like a drum I can hear their hearts beating
I know my God won’t let them be defeated
Every child has a dream to belong and be loved
[Chorus:]
Boys become kings, girls will be queens
Wrapped in Your majesty
When we love, when we love the least of these
Then they will be brave and free
Shout your name in victory
When we love when we love the least of these
When we love the least of these

I have enjoyed sharing our experiences in Sierra Leone, but it is important to mention that I could not even begin to capture all of the little moments in our days.  There were so many small stories that have come up in conversation since we’ve been back.  Quite honestly, I think the little moments are the ones that have been most impactful on my heart. 

Until next time, Africa…

{The Launes}

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you had another great experience! I enjoyed reading about it :)

    ReplyDelete