2.26.2015

Run Happy…

Last week I got a new pair of running shoes.  My very first pair of Brooks…a little slice of heaven for the feet.  I have been debating getting a pair of Brooks for a while, but when push comes to shove, I am just too cheap!  However, the  joys of turning 30 finally convinced me otherwise.  My body is suddenly failing me in ways I never thought possible.  By the end of some nights I feel more like 80 than 30.  My knees, ankles and hips have been hurting to the point that some nights I can barely move.  In an all out pathetic state I even asked Trent to carry me from the couch to bed one night.  Chivalry at its finest!

I am just over two months out from the Lincoln Half Marathon and quite frankly, I think that Jamie’s expectations for our performance are pretty high.  I don’t have time to be slowed down by injury.  Therefore, in the past couple of weeks I have taken a few measures to help ensure that I am in tip top performance shape.

Exhibit A:  New running shoes.  My old ones had over 500 miles on them so it was definitely time.  Brooks are highly rated running shoes and each style is tailored to the various needs of runners.  Plus, a little added bonus is that I think the neon yellow makes my legs look a little tan in the middle of winter :)

IMG_1732

Exhibit B:  Joint Juice.  Someone recommended trying joint juice.  A good old fashioned dose of Glucosamine and Chondroitin in a Cran-Pomegranate flavor.  It took a little getting use to the taste, but it does seem to help a little.  I was desperate!

Exhibit C: Prescription strength Ibuprofen.  Thank goodness for 800 mg Ibuprofen.  When all else fails I turn to my faithful bottle of Ibuprofen.

I am very happy to be feeling a little better after a week of trying to mix things up.  The long runs are only getting longer!  Now if the weather would just warm up so I could get off the treadmill and out into the great outdoors.  But until that day comes I will continue to run away going nowhere fast while I watch Netflix or my latest show on a three inch screen.

Thinking warm thoughts…

{The Launes}

2 comments:

  1. "quite frankly, I think that Jamie’s expectations for our performance are pretty high" ?!? That made me chuckle. But you're right. No time to be injured. Now get out there and run :)

    ReplyDelete