7.03.2011

Apple Pie on the 4th of July...

I came up with the brilliant idea to make apple pie for the 4th of July back in June.  I have had a great recipe for 4 years and have always been too afraid to try it!  It came from Phyllis at Cheri O’s and she makes the most delicious pies.  I did not think there was any way I could even come close to making a pie as good as hers.  But on a quiet Saturday night, I took on the challenge. 
At exactly 8:51 I began preparing everything I needed.  This pie was going to be homemade down to the crust!  I made the pie crust first and then moved on to the pie filling.  I remembered different tricks that Phyllis had taught me in my many years at Cheri O’s such as rolling the flattened crust to help me lay it out in the pan.  I decided to actually make two pies since my pans were small and it would be way too much filling for just one.  That would also leave me with more to share!   By 9:53 the pies were in the oven and it was time to wait...and clean up!
 The ingredients

 Rolling out the dough

Pie filling in the making

Ready to go into the oven to be baked into deliciousness!

My least favorite partcleaning up!

Out of the oven and waiting to be cut and served with vanilla ice-cream tomorrow!
I am pretty sure that my first attempt at apple pie was a success!  Despite my worries, the recipe was actually easy as pie...pun intended!  I am anxiously waiting for tomorrow to cut into the pies and taste them so the final verdict is still out.  Stay tuned

3 comments:

  1. Nice work! Can't wait to hear how they taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megs... I also made an apple pie on the fourth and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome! Making the crust was easier than I thought, I would have to say slicing the apples all up was the worst part.

    ReplyDelete