9.11.2011

September 11

Today was a beautiful day.  Clear blue skies full of sunshine and warm temperatures.  Almost identical to the weather 10 years ago today…a day that weighs heavy on any American’s heart. Primetime TV and the internet have been full of stories remembering 9/11 in the days leading up to the 10th anniversary.  It is so intriguing and so sad.  I really didn’t plan on blogging about 9/11 today, but then a couple of things happened and I couldn’t resist.

First, I was headed up to school to get a few things done and the cemetery had their flags all hanging at half staff.  I love when the cemetery has all the flags out, but this only happens like twice a year.  They have never hung on September 11th, but today they did.  And they were beautiful flowing in the gentle breeze.  Of course I had to go back and take pictures.

DSC02312DSC02315

Then, I saw this commercial on TV today while I was watching a little NFL Sunday afternoon football.  It immediately caught my attention and of course brought tears to my eyes.  It is a must see.  I’ve seen it at least 10 times now :)

Of course I remember exactly where I was when I found out, what I was doing and how I felt.   It still seems like just yesterday.   We had a golf meet that day and were running late.  This school van was so old that it didn’t always run and it definitely did not have radio.  We got to the golf course and rushed out to play our first nine.  There was no time to go into the clubhouse first like we usually did.  It wasn’t until after nine holes that I went into the clubhouse and saw the events that had unfolded throughout the morning playing on the TV only to have to head back out to play our second nine.  I remember going out and feeling scared and confused as I really did not know what had happened.  Surely it had been an accident or some terrible nightmare.   I didn’t feel safe and the last place I wanted to be was golfing.   I remember our coach telling us on the way home that this was big and we were going to read about it in History books someday.  He was right.  America was forever changed in one day.  Ten years later the aftermath is still fresh. 

{The Launes}

No comments:

Post a Comment