10.16.2011

Best. Day. Ever.

Yesterday I had a very happy surprise.  One of my best friends (in the whole wide world) came to visit and didn’t tell me she was coming!  We showed up for a regular Saturday night game night at the Vest house and out walked Sara!  Since she lives in paradise (Hawaii) I don’t get to see her very often.  Usually I have a countdown of how many days until Sara is in town, but not this time.

Game night did not go off as planned as the boys shared their top and bottom five Nebraska football player list of all time followed by You Tube videos of those old players and deep discussion followed by whiffle ball in the garage.  But I did get to spend some time with Sara and Jessie.  Sara also made me a completely Pinterest inspired birthday gift...Clothespin glittery magnets, a t-shirt braided necklace and a wrapped L...love it all!

Having Sara in town meant getting home really late.  Staying up until 1 a.m. is just not in my blood.  It’s even worse when I have to get up early the next morning.  So let’s just say that the best day ever was followed by the Worst. Morning. EVER.  I told Jamie a couple of weeks back that I would do the Zoo Run with her.  Sounded fun.  Sunday morning, 5 miles around the Henry Doorly Zoo.  Bad news...only about a mile of it was in the zoo.  The rest was outside on the street, long hills, and miserableness.  I survived the first 4 miles and then couldn’t decide if I was going to throw up or pass out.  Thank heavens neither, but I had to walk...don’t judge.  Had it been flat I would have pushed on but I could not do one more hill!  I put on a pathetic performance this morning.  Sorry Jamie!

DSC02498

The race did include free admission into the zoo so we checked out the Cat complex, the gorillas and the polar bear. 

DSC02499

Jamie wanted to take this kitty home, but the zoo keeper said not today...it just looked so cuddly!

DSC02500

This tiger on the other hand was not so happy to see us.  Apparently it was unaware of our affinity for cats...

DSC02502

This gorilla woke up on the wrong side of the bed...bless its little heart!

Then it was on to brunch at Wheatfield's.  The omelet special was delicious!

DSC02503DSC02504

Finally, after a quick grocery shopping trip I head home and took a much anticipated nap.  I’ve been planning on this nap all week and it lived up to those expectations.

Thank you Jamie for convincing me to do the Zoo run.  Next year I will prepare by running hills...lots of them.  Now, it’s back to Monday.  First day I will see my little darling since last Tuesday followed by the longest week ever! 

{The Launes}

1 comment:

  1. So many people the next day asked me which games we played...hehe. The first thing Brandi said when I told her about the run is that it would be very hilly. Poor girl! Sorry I kept you up so late, but it was great to see you :)

    ReplyDelete